Jo is available for both face to face and Telehealth consultations. However, Jo and all of the Eat Love Live Dietitians who consult at The Melbourne Sports Medicine Centre are currently unable to take on new bookings. To see another of the Eat Love Live Dietitians please phone Eat Love Live Reception on 9087 8379, fax 03 9088 0249 or email email@example.com
If you are a current client of Jo’s you can book an appointment here.
Commenced at The Melbourne Sports Medicine Centre August 2008.
Areas of special interest:
- Eating Disorders
- Disordered Eating
- Nutrition and Mental Health
Jo has a client centred approach providing individual nutrition counselling; with over 10 years’ experience in private practice. Jo has experience across a diverse range of settings including community and public health and in variety of modes including working with individuals, groups and program development.
Jo supports clients with a wide range of clinical medical conditions; though her passion and specialised skill set she supports people across the spectrum of disordered eating, eating disorders and other mental health issues.
Jo has a non-dieting approach to health management which involves focusing on behaviour change to improve measurable health outcomes. Jo aims to support people to improve their overall relationship with food and to reconnect with the body’s hunger and satiety cues. Jo employs the Health at Every Size Paradigm in her work.
She is passionate about supporting people to reconnect and to learn to trust their own intuition around food. We are all born with these skills but our life experiences and the toxic diet culture we live in can mean we lose touch with this.
When faced with illness or a specific health concern, or simply looking to improve overall well-being, sorting through complex information and advice about diet can require specialist help and support which Jo aims to provide in a compassionate, non-judgemental, supportive environment.
Jo’s experience is from a range of places including:
- Eating Disorders Foundation Victoria, as an employee and later a board member
- Eating Disorders Unit at the Royal Melbourne Hospital
- Eating Disorder Program at The Melbourne Clinic
- The Big Girls Group at the Royal Women’s hospital, supporting women with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS).
- The Body Image and Eating Disorder Recovery centre (BETRS); a joint initiative between St Vincent’s and The Austin hospital.
Jo values working closely as part of a multidisciplinary team (Psychologist, General Practitioner, Psychiatrists) as this is advantageous to positive outcomes for her clients. It is important to recognise that many other factors can manifest in negative eating behaviours and food beliefs and that support from medical practitioners, mental health workers, social workers and support for families is important.
- B Applied Science (University of Tasmania 2000 Incomplete)
- B Nutrition and Dietetics (Monash University 2001 – 2004)
- Masters Public Health (University of Melbourne 2007 Incomplete)
Jo has completed professional development in the following areas:
- counselling skills
- Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT)
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT)
- Motivational Interviewing
- Mental Health First Aid.
This additional training has helped Jo develop skills in complementary psychological tools in order to assist clients to make positive changes.
Jo also engages in regular clinical supervision and reflective self-practice to ensure that she is providing optimum care for her clients.
Professional Memberships and Positions:
- Dietitians Association of Australia
- Australian New Zealand Academy of Eating Disorders
- Health at Every Size (HAES) Australia Inc
- The Society for Australian Independent Dietitian – Nutritionists
Jo is available for consultation:
- Tuesday 8.30 am – 6.00 pm
- Friday 8.30 am – 6.00 pm
To arrange an appointment please phone 9650 9372 or book online.