Dr Matt Chamberlain
Commenced at The Melbourne Sports Medicine Centre July 2017.
Areas of special interest:
- Diagnosis and management of injuries for a wide range of sports including:
- Australian Rules Football
Matt is a Sports Physician who graduated from the University of Sydney in 1998, from there spending many years working in General Medicine, Ophthalmology and Emergency Medicine. Over the last twelve years he has transitioned into full time sports medicine and is a Fellow of the Australasian College of Sport and Exercise Physicians (ACSEP).
Matt has knowledge and experience covering a wide range of sports, including Australian Rules Football, Soccer, Netball and Basketball at an elite level. He has had medical involvement at both a Commonwealth and Olympics games level.
Outside sporting injuries, he has a special interest in conservative management of degenerative joint, tendon and other musculoskeletal conditions. He believes strongly in the role of nutritional, lifestyle and exercise approaches for many of these issues, and advocates a multimodal approach to optimise outcomes. He also has experience using injectable intervention for joint and tendon disorders including the use of prolotherapy, high volume injection techniques, hyaluronic acid, PRP (platelet-rich plasma), ACS (Autologous Conditioned Serum) and stem cells.
He is currently involved in research into the role of adipose-derived stem cells in knee osteoarthritis, as well investigating newer MRI modalities to assess cartilage quality in patients following ACLR (anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction). He has also recently been published internationally on medical conditions specific to open water swimming.
- MBBS – University of Sydney (1998)
- Graduate Diploma of Epidemiology
- Sports and Exercise Physician
Involvement with Teams and Associations:
- AFL Casey Scorpians: 2007 – 2008
- AFL Coburg Tigers: 2007 – 2008
- AFL Richmond Tigers: 2008 – 2011
- A-League and Melbourne Victory Juniors: 2012 – 2014
- 2014 Glasgow Commonwealth Games
- 2016 Rio Olympic Games
- Considerable involvement with Triathlon & Cycling team – current
- Australian Swim Team – current
- Melbourne Vixens Netball team – current
- Waverley Gymnastics Club – current
- Dandenong Rangers WNBL – current
Professional Memberships and Positions:
- Australasian College of Sport and Exercise Physicians
- Member – International Cartilage Research Society (ICRS)
Personal Sporting Experience:
In his spare time, Matt is a keen recreational athlete who enjoys running, swimming, and yoga.
At home, he is blessed to have a wonderful wife and five children that keep him busy outside sports medicine practice.
Matt is passionate about his involvement in sports medicine, and the long-term benefits of keeping the community active from both a physical and psychological perspective.
Matt is available for consultation Monday and Thursday.
To arrange an appointment please phone 9650 9372 or book online.