Dr David Velten
During the current pandemic, David is available for both telehealth and in room consultations. To arrange an appointment please phone 9650 9372 or book online.
Returned to The Melbourne Sports Medicine Centre in January 2021
Areas of special interest:
- Highly experienced in all areas of Sports Medicine
David is a General Practitioner with special interests in Sports Medicine. He studied at Monash University where he completed his degrees in Medicine and Surgery, graduating with Honours in 1995. He then worked in a number of public hospitals in Melbourne and regional Victoria before being awarded the Fellowship of the Royal College of General Practitioners in 2000. He completed a Masters of Sports Medicine in 2011.
From 2003 – 2006 David worked in Beijing China as a Senior Medical Officer for International SOS. This role involved providing acute primary care to the local expatriate community, providing all aspects of family practice as well as acute medical emergencies in the Emergency Department. In this role there was also a strong emphasis on sports/musculoskeletal injuries.
From July 2007 to June 2016, David worked at The Melbourne Sports Medicine Centre, treating patients at all sporting levels, from professional athletes to weekend warriors. During this time David joined the Midday Milers running group where he regularly ran sessions around the ‘Tan’ at Botanical Gardens.
David has worked as a medical officer for a number of elite sporting organisations including the North Melbourne Football Club (2008-2010) and the Gold Coast Suns (2011-2018) in the AFL. David has also worked as tournament doctor for the Kooyong Classic tennis tournament (2017-2017) and the David Cup first round tie in 2016.
In addition, David is also an assistant orthopaedic surgeon, working with surgeons at Melbourne Orthopaedic Group (MOG) since 2009.
- MBBS (Hons) Monash University 1995
- FRACGP 2000
- Masters of Sports Medicine University of Queensland 2011
Professional Memberships and Positions:
- Royal Australian College of General Practitioners
Involvement with Teams and Associations:
- North Melbourne Football Club 2008 – 2010
- Gold Coast Suns Football Club 2011 – 2018
- Tournament Doctor Kooyong Classic 2015 – 2017
- Tournament Doctor Davis Cup First Round Tie at Kooyong 2016
- Medical Advisor Victorian Workcover Authority 2007 – 2009
Personal Sporting Experience:
- Over the years David has been a keen middle-distance runner, competing at club level with Mentone Athletics Club, as well as competing in State and National Masters Championships. David also enjoys playing social tennis with his family.
David is available for consultation each Monday morning.
To arrange an appointment to see David please phone 9650 9372 or book online.