Dr Ben Barresi
Commenced at Melbourne Sports Medicine Centre February 2003.
Areas of special interest:
- Highly experienced in all areas of Sports Medicine
- Highly experienced in all areas of General Medicine
- Addiction Medicine
Ben is a general practitioner with special interests in Sports Medicine and Addiction Medicine. He studied at The University of Melbourne where he completed his degrees in Medicine and Surgery in 1997. He then worked in a number of public hospitals in Melbourne and regional Victoria before being awarded the Fellowship of the Royal College of General Practitioners in 2003. He completed post-fellowship training in Sports Medicine through the RACGP Special Interests Program.
Ben has worked for a number of sporting organisations, including Port Melbourne Football Club (VFL), Essendon Football Club (VFL) and Carlton Football Club (AFL). Ben was a team doctor at Carlton Football Club from 2001 until 2013 and was the senior team doctor from 2006. During this time, he was involved with the AFL Doctors Association as their Secretary from 2007 until 2012, and was presented with the AFL Doctors Association Meritorious Service Award in 2014.
Since 2016, Ben has been involved with the Greater Western Sydney (GWS) Giants, providing match day medical support as their Victorian based medical officer. Ben has also had a role with the Victorian Jockey Welfare Program since 2004.
Ben has been a medical officer for Healthscope since 2002, providing inpatient medical treatment and support for patients with substance use disorders at Warburton Clinic, Ivanhoe Manor and The Melbourne Clinic. Ben has been a medical advisor to a number of state and federal government peak bodies in the area of addiction medicine, which include WorkSafe Victoria, the Transport Accident Commission (TAC) and Comcare.
In recent years Ben has enjoyed working alongside a number of Orthopaedic surgeons as a surgical assistant at The Epworth and St Vincent’s Hospitals.
- MBBS Melbourne University 1997
- FRACGP 2003
Professional Memberships and Positions:
- Royal Australian College of General Practitioners
- Sports Medicine Australia
- AFL Doctors Association Meritorious Service Award in 2014.
Involvement with Teams and Associations:
- Port Melbourne Football Club (VFL) – 1999-2000.
- Essendon Football Club (VFL) – 2001
- Carlton Football Club – Medical Officer – 2002 – 2013.
- Commonwealth Games – Medical Officer – 2006.
- AFL Doctors Association Secretary – 2008 – 2013.
- Greater Western Sydney Giants – match day doctor for Victorian fixtures – 2017 – present.
Personal Sporting Experience:
Away from work, Ben is a sporting tragic who is very happy to be watching any one of his three children play sport on weekends, attend a local game of football or being trackside watching one of his small stable of thoroughbreds racing.
Ben is available for consultation each Tuesday and Thursday.
To arrange an appointment to see Ben please phone 9650 9372 or alternatively book online.