The Melbourne Sports Centre is the leading multi-disciplinary sports medicine clinic in the Melbourne CBD. Our clinic is ideally placed to successfully manage patients with chronic or recurring injuries and conditions by providing integrated care. Over the past 25 years we have had a long and proud history of Medical and Allied Health Professionals (Physiotherapists, Podiatrists, Dietitians, Myotherapists, Remedial Massage Therapists and Exercise Physiologists) working together for enhanced patient outcomes. There is also in house access to Orthopaedic Specialists, Pathology and Radiology Services. Studies have shown that when medical and allied health professionals work together with good communication that patients with chronic conditions attain better outcomes. This is why the Department of Health is so keen on promoting this model when they say:-
1. “Multi-disciplinary care has been demonstrated to improve outcomes especially for patients with chronic illnesses.
2. Integrated care …….is “coordinated across professionals, facilities, and support systems; continuous over time and between visits; tailored to the patients’ needs and preferences; and based on shared responsibility between patient and caregivers for optimising health.”
At The Melbourne Sports Medicine Centre we aim to provide high quality, friendly and efficient multi-disciplinary healthcare, catering to the individual needs of our clients with a commitment to assure the very best care for all.
So if you are experiencing ongoing discomfort or lifestyle restrictions from a chronic or ongoing musculoskeletal condition then it is worth asking yourself if you are currently attaining all the benefits of integrated care with the medical and allied health coordinated input. You could ask:
- Do I have, or am I working towards a specific diagnosis?
- Do I have a clear, evidence based management plan?
- Is my care tailored to my specific needs and preferences?
- Am I being encouraged to take responsibility for my own care and management?
- Is my care amongst the clinics different disciplines being well coordinated with good communication?
- Am I receiving the right balance between active and passive treatment modalities?
- Is there a sense that my individual needs are being met thoroughly by the health providers?
Over the years there have been many instances of our integrated approach working together with patients to help successfully manage their complex needs relating to their chronic condition. If you feel that you and your condition could benefit from this integrated care within our multi- disciplinary clinic then you can get in contact with us here.
Also remember that your musculoskeletal condition may make you eligible for subsidised consultations with Allied Health Practitioners under the Medicare Chronic Disease Management scheme. You are welcome to discuss this with our friendly reception staff at the time of booking, or discuss with your General Practitioner.