There is much concern around the Coronavirus outbreak known as COVID-19 (SARS-CoV-2).
This pandemic is still an important issue and social distancing and hand hygiene are vital in assisting to control it. This responsibility rests with us all in order to protect those more vulnerable to infection. Staying home and being tested if you have any respiratory symptoms are essential.
The virus appears to cause a range of symptoms, from a mild infection with a fever, to a significant respiratory infection (pneumonia).
Common signs of respiratory infection include runny nose, sore throat, fever, cough or shortness of breath.
The Melbourne Sports Medicine Centre and our co-located practices, Midtown Medical Clinic and Medical Specialists on Collins, are committed to ensuring the health and safety of all patients and staff.
For this reason, we ask that you please call us BEFORE attending our practices if:
- you have been travelling interstate or internationally OR
- you have been in close contact with someone who has travelled interstate of internationally OR
- you have been in close contact with someone who is a confirmed case of COVID-19 or someone who is awaiting results to confirm COVID-19 OR
- you have a fever OR
- you have an acute respiratory infection (eg. runny nose, shortness of breath or cough) with or without fever
When you phone, we will provide you with further advice.
Our advice may be to not attend our practices, but instead attend one of the current COVID-19 clinics for further assessment and testing, or to manage your symptoms at home. We may also advise that you delay any non-essential medical or allied health treatment until any symptoms you are experiencing have resolved.
The following hospitals have set up COVID-19 clinics. If you will be attending, you must phone them and let them know you will be coming in:
- Albury Wodonga Health 02 6058 4444
- Alfred Hospital Phone 9076 2000
- Austin Hospital Phone 9496 5000
- Ballarat Base Hospital Phone 5320 4000
- Bendigo Hospital Phone 5454 6000
- Box Hill Hospital Phone 8804 9999
- Casey Hospital Phone 8768 1200
- CoHealth – West Melbourne Phone 9448 5549
- Echuca Hospital Phone 5485 5000
- Kyneton District Health Phone 5422 9900
- Monash Medical Centre Clayton Phone 9594 6666
- Northern Hospital Phone 8405 8000
- Peninsula Health Frankston Phone 9784 7777
- Philip Island Health Hub Phone 5951 2100
- Royal Children’s Hospital Phone 9345 5522
- Royal Melbourne Hospital Phone 9342 7000
- Sunshine Hospital Phone 8345 1333
- Wonthaggi Hospital Phone 5671 3333
The Victorian Government is aiming to have as many people as possible tested for Coronavirus. If you have respiratory symptoms such as cough, shortness of breath, irritated or sore throat, recent loss of smell, runny nose, no matter how mild, we encourage you to be tested. We recommend you attend one of the above listed testing locations, or one of the respiratory clinics which are available for online booking here. You must self-isolate while awaiting your test result.
Due to more stringent infection control procedures it may be that your requested practitioner is unavailable. You may be offered an appointment at an alternative time or with a different practitioner. Our nursing and administrative team may also experience absenteeism and this may necessitate more lengthy delays with phone answering or dealing with your queries. We know that you will understand there are important reasons for this and will therefore be patient with any delays.
The below website will give up to date information as the situation changes.
Health Direct have launched a COVID-19 Symptom Checker available for both desktop and smartphone users:
The Department of Health has recently released the COVIDSafe app. This app speeds up contacting people exposed to COVID-19. This helps support and protect you, your loved ones and our community. Our Medical and Allied Health Practirioners fully support the use of COVIDSafe.
If you have any queries at all, please contact us on 9650 4284 or 9650 9372. We are here to help at this difficult time.